- Wednesday, 25 May 2016 20:19
- By: Shalkie, Outlook Tibet
Dharamshala — Tibetans living in Shimla staged protest against China on the 66th anniversary of the seventeen point agreement.
According to media reports, the exiled community members held a protest march in which they carried placards and banners, held national flag, and shouted slogans against China. This protest march was organized by the Regional Tibetan Youth Congress Shimla.
In 1951, the Tibetan delegation led by His Holiness Dalai Lama, as claimed by the Chinese, under a mutual acceptance signed the seventeen-point agreement with Central People's Government of China asserting their sovereignty over Tibet.
But according to the Tibetan people, Diaspora and CTA, it doesn't hold any validity as it was signed under duress and had been repudiated by Dalai Lama himself.
"The prime purpose of this rally is we are not accepting this 17-point agreement which was happened 51 years back and that was signed under the pressure made by the Chinese. So, we are completely against this 17-point agreement," said a protester, Tenzin Namsal.
The protesters also sought United Nation's support and pressure of the international community. "We are demanding that UNO and all countries should help us to get freedom from China," said another protester, Tenzin Dhonyo.
- Tibetans in Dharamshala felicitate Dolma Gyari, Kalon for Home Dept - 25/05/2016 20:13
- Eye Camps organised at Tibetan Settlements of Herbetpur and Ravangla - 24/05/2016 13:28
- Class XII students of Tibetan schools showing promising results over 70% - 24/05/2016 11:19
- Dalai Lama to grace Sikyong’s swearing in ceremony - 13/05/2016 18:06
- Tibet issue should figure in India-China border talks: Dr Sangay - 24/10/2014 08:01